Adding sprinkles to the sides of a cake is a charming way to add color, whimsy, and extra sweetness to your baked goods. It is a simple yet effective method to enhance the presentation of your cake, making it a visual and gustatory delight.
If you’ve ever pondered how to put sprinkles on side of cake without making a mess, this article will guide you through the process, ensuring that your cake looks as good as it tastes.
How To Put Sprinkles On Side Of Cake?
Adding sprinkles to the side of a cake can add a festive and colorful flourish to your dessert. Here’s how to decorate the exterior of a cake with sprinkles:
Ingredients and Tools:
- Frosted cake
- Sprinkles of your choice
- Clean, flat plate or tray
- Offset spatula or clean hands
- Prepare Your Cake: Begin with a cake that is entirely frosted. Ensure that the frosting on the sides of the cake is still slightly tacky and fresh. If the frosting has hardened, you may need to add a thin layer of fresh frosting as glue for the sprinkles.
- Choose Your Sprinkles: Choose the sprinkle variety and color. Sprinkles come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and hues; therefore, choose ones that match the theme of your cake or your personal preference.
- Set Up Your Work Area: Place a clean, flat plate or tray beneath the cake to collect any stray sprinkles and facilitate tidying.
- Applying the Sprinkles: Here’s how to sprinkle the cake:
- Hand Method: This technique is most suitable for smaller cakes. Holding the cake over the plate with one hand, delicately press a handful of sprinkles against the side of the cake with the other. Rotate the cake to ensure uniform coverage. This procedure may need to be repeated to cover the entire side.
- Offset Spatula Method: When adorning a larger cake, apply the sprinkles with an offset spatula. As you flip the cake onto the plate, press the sprinkling into the frosting while holding the spatula vertically against the cake’s side. The offset spatula facilitates the creation of a neat and uniform sprinkling line.
5. Fill in Any Gaps: After covering the entire side of the cake with sprinkles, look for any gaps or spots where the sprinkles do not adhere properly. You can fill in these spaces with more sprinkles using your fingers or a tiny spoon.
6. Final Touches: Once you are satisfied with the coverage, touch the side of the cake gently to remove any sprinkles that have fallen off. They should land on the dish beneath.
7. Chill and Serve: If you are not going to serve the cake immediately, place it in the refrigerator for a few minutes to set the sprinkling. This prevents them from sliding off when the cake is sliced and served.
8. Slice and Enjoy: When ready to serve, slice the beautifully decorated cake and savor it!
Adding sprinkles to the sides of a cake is a creative and enjoyable way to enhance its appearance and make it more alluring for special occasions or celebrations. With a little care and attention to detail, you can create a sprinkle decoration that will impress your guests and appear professional.
How Do You Get Sprinkles To Stick To Fondant?
Follow these steps to adhere sprinkles to the fondant for a secure and visually appealing decoration. Apply a thin layer of edible glue or clear piping gel to the fondant with a clean paintbrush or a finger gently moistened with water.
Ensure the entire area where the sprinkles will be placed is evenly but not excessively moist. Then, carefully press the sprinkles onto the surface of the glued fondant, allowing them to adhere. You can also gently roll a fondant smoother or a clean, flat tool over the sprinkles to improve adhesion.
Allow the decorated fondant to dry and harden for a brief time before handling to avoid smearing or displacement. This method guarantees that the sprinkling remains on the fondant for an aesthetically pleasing finish.
How Do You Fill A Cake With Sprinkles?
First, bake and chill the layers of your cake. Rank them if necessary. Select the layer you desire to be the center, which is typically the middle layer. Place it on a plate or cake board for serving. Create a well in the center of this layer using a small cookie cutter or a knife.
Fill the well with a large quantity of sprinkles, taking care that they do not run over the edges. Finally, assemble and frost the remaining cake layers. When the cake is sliced, the sprinkles will spill out, adding a fun and colorful element to each piece.
How Do You Put Sprinkles On The Bottom Half Of A Cake?
Follow these methods to add a whimsical touch to the bottom half of a cake with sprinkles. Place the entire cake on a clean, dry surface after icing it. To catch excess sprinkles, place the cake on a dish or parchment paper.
Take a handful of sprinkles and carefully press them onto the bottom half of the cake, working your way up from the bottom. Allow the excess sprinkles to fall onto the platter as you rotate the cake. Continue in this manner until you’ve covered the desired area. When finished, lightly tap the cake to remove any loose sprinkles.
Lift and move the cake to a serving platter with care. Refrigerate shortly before serving to set the sprinkles for a lovely, ornamental look.
This was all about how to put sprinkles on side of cake. Sprinkles on the side of a cake are a fun and imaginative way to improve its appearance and bring a touch of magic to any event. You’ll be able to create a beautifully ornamented cake that will leave a lasting impression on your guests if you follow the techniques and recommendations in this article.
Thank you for reading!
Read more: How Do You Know If A Pomegranate Is Ripe?